On 29 March, Marine-i opened a call for applications for Research Development and Innovation (RD&I) funding for marine robotic and autonomous systems. Businesses are encouraged to develop projects which address one or more of the following themes:
- Autonomy and robotics
- Communication systems and data management
- Remote operations
- Energy management systems
- Recharging / refuelling
- Launch and recovery systems
- Vessel guidance and positioning
- Mobile platform design and positioning systems
Applications must be submitted by midnight on 27 April 2018.
Projects of all sizes are encouraged, but it is anticipated that projects will request funding support between £150,000 and £500,000 due to the strategic nature of the programme. The funding levels and payments can be summarised as follows:
|Business size||Level of eligible costs||Maximum grant intervention rates||Funding payments|
|Small to medium||EU European Structural and Investment
Funds established Technology Readiness
Levels (TRL) will be used to define the level of eligible costs
|70%||Funding reimbursement is made available on completion of the project and interim payments are also available upon evidence of expenditure.|
|Large companies (+ 250 employees)||50%|
To be eligible for funding, an applicant must satisfy all three of the following criteria:
- All companies must base their funded activity in Cornwall. This could include companies outside of the county who establish a satellite office or an operating base within Cornwall
- The applicant must be a business whose funded activities will result in a benefit that resides in the economy of Cornwall and the Isles of Scilly
- All project applications must include SMEs i.e., larger projects are expected to be or are likely to be collaborative in nature.
The call document outlines a timeline up to submission of the application, which includes a “match making workshop/ project scoping with business engagement managers”, and contains details of and/ or links to further information on eligibility and the support that can be provided by the Marine-i team.
Marine-i will be presenting at Finance in Cornwall 2018 (18 April at Burrell Theatre, Truro).