Amazon has announced that all eligible registered UK charities can join AmazonSmile which provides a simple way for its customers to support a charity of their choice through donations from the company.
Customers will find the same Amazon they know and love at www.smile.amazon.co.uk enjoying the same low prices, selection and convenient shopping experience. However each time a customer shops on the site, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the net purchase price (excluding VAT, returns and shipping fees) of eligible purchases to the charitable organisations selected by the customer. This is at no additional cost to the customer or the charity.
Customers can choose to support a charity before they start shopping and they can choose to change to another charity at any time should they wish. This provides much needed good news for fundraisers; indeed across the pond Amazon has donated over $69 million to charities through the site since its launch four years ago.
How do I enrol to receive donations for my charitable organisation?
AmazonSmile enrolment is open to UK charities now. To be eligible they must have registered charity numbers and be in ‘good standing with the charity commission’ of England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland. Customers will be able to search through the newly added selection of charities and find yours once registered from 1 March 2018.
In order to enrol and receive donations, you must be an official representative of an eligible organisation and then follow these easy steps:
- Search for your charitable organisation by name or registered charity number and then select the organisation you represent. Be sure to confirm you are selecting the correct organisation, as many charitable organisations have similar names.
- Create an organisation administrator account and accept the AmazonSmile Participation Agreement on behalf of your organisation.
- Verify your email address (we recommend that you use an email address that is associated with your charitable organisation).
- Submit your organisation’s bank account information.
- Upload a copy of a bank statement to verify your organisation’s bank account information.
From 1st March, 2018, participating charities will be able to visit org.amazon.co.uk to access tools to help them spread the word to supporters and find new ones. When you sign in to your organisation’s org.amazon.co.uk account and click on ‘marketing tools,’ you will be able to obtain a link to a customised AmazonSmile landing page for your organisation that you can use in email newsletters, on your website, or in social media posts. There will also be the option to access a downloadable website banner and social sharing widgets to reach your Facebook and Twitter followers.
It’s worth remembering that charities are responsible for obtaining their own legal, tax and financial guidance regarding participation in this programme, so if you require assistance our Charity Accounting and Advisory team are here to help guide and advise you.