Providing the latest statistics on the Bounce Back Loan Scheme (BBLS), Coronavirus Business Interuption Loan Scheme (CBILS), Large Business Coronavirus Business Interuption Loan Scheme (CLBIS) and…
Our recent ‘Conversation over Coffee’ on Sustainability in Business certainly got people talking! Some of the comments afterwards included:
- “very interesting”
- “great conversation”
- “That was great. Loads of ideas from this”
- “the conversations this morning were really interesting and a great, inspiring start to the day. Lots of information I can take away and discuss”
If you feel that you might have missed out – do not worry you can view the recording at the link below, but first some additional context to the event.
Why Business Sustainability?
Quite simply, there is no doubt that this is going to be a hot topic for businesses in 2021, due to several factors including:
- Consumer demand
- Realisation of costs of inaction– having faced a crisis there is a realisation that the costs of inaction will far outweigh the costs of action
- Government actions– we are hosting COP26 and this appears to be a stimulus for the Government to want us to “build back greener”. Boris Johnson has already outlined his ten point plan for a Green Industrial Revolution and further announcements and legislation are expected
- Confidence– we have adapted to changing working practices etc over the past months. We can now see a clearer pathway to new ways of working that are more sustainable.
- It must be…
The link to the event recording is here [pass code Pe8!#5MP]
Thank you to…
The event hosts Joanna and James (from PKF Francis Clark’s Truro office Green Team) and our experts, thought leaders and practitioners Tom (from Finisterre), Peter (Cornwall Council), Ed (Exeter University) and Scott (Ward Williams Associates).
I would like to thank all of the above for participation in the interesting and insightful discussion – the passion of our conversationalists shone through and I know it was not just me who was inspired and buoyed by their enthusiasm to make a difference.
Further reading and listening?
When you listen to recording you will hear mentions of B Corp, Doughnut Economics and SWeCAN. For some further information on these follow the links below:
- B Corporation
- Ward Williams Associates B Corp (the world’s first chartered surveyor to certify as a B Corporation)
- Finisterre B Corp ( first outdoor clothing company in the UK to become B Corp certified)
- Cornwall Council’s doughnut economics work
- Cornwall Council webinar explaining how they use Doughnut Economics it in more detail
- South West Environment and Climate Action Network (SWeCAN)
This is undoubtedly an issue that we will want to return to in 2021, and I already have lots of ideas on topics we could cover including:
- The rural sector and the environment
- Green tech – Innovating for sustainability.
- Measurement and reporting – a role for the bean counters?
- B-Corp: next steps for those on the journey to sustainability?
- Decarbonising energy generation and other infrastructure: UK government regulation in 2021
- Circular economy and Doughnut economics: new ways of thinking – what, why and how?
And I know others at PKF Francis Clark have more ideas, so keep an eye on our events page in 2021!
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me, and if you would like to be added to our ‘Conversations over Coffee’ invite list, please email email@example.com